Wednesday 29 July 2009

And still people sit and stare...

In general terms the age of chivalry is dead I think. People are not interested in standing up for a pregnant woman these days which is rather sad. I heard a story of a pregnant lady asking for a seat on the tube and she specifically asked someone in the priority seat. He replied and said "No, you chose to get pregnant".... how cutting and rude!! However on the plus side, today I heard another story of a man who saw a preggers lady standing on the tube, asked her why she was standing and when he heard that no-one had offered a seat he shouted at the carriage and picked a guy to stand up in shame and let her sit down. Now if only I could get me a travelling companion like that - what a hero.... :)

4 comments:

  1. Now this is harsh, but actual "Chivalry" died centuries before even the equal rights movement killed off any social responsibility to worry about how "only a woman" would be able to cope with opening doors or dealing with life in "a man's world" (just go back to black and white movies for staggering examples)...the truth of it is, women are unquestionably better off being regarded as fully equal (a time when this wasn't the case is, thankfully, outside my experience), and sexism shouldn't be confused with (the aforementioned) lack of sense of social responsibility...*everyone* (and I speak from some small amount of experience) with difficulty moving around, and especially those facing a difficult journey standing on a dashing train, should get some degree of support and understanding from those around them (not just pregnant women)...but even from my (limited) perspective, sadly, I agree...it's only been a tiny handful of times I have been offered a seat when commuting on crutches...

    However, this will never stop me holding open a door for whoever is behind me or yielding a seat for anyone in greater need, and I can't be the only one... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was a two penneth and a half! I do think that men should stand for pregnant women and I'm afraid I tend to look at them the most harshly if they do not. And for the record, until women are paid the same as men (reports again today suggesting that they are still not, by quite some margin), they are not equal anyway, so I think we're sat in a strange middle ground that is not very satisfactory on either side. There, that's my opinion. I shall just keep asking for a seat when I need one. It is the only way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And there the legacy lives on, because something in me thinks I don't have the right to ask a woman to stand up, even when I am in trouble...

    *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have the right to address a group of people sitting in the priority seats... male or female. That is what the seats are for! Don't be shy!

    ReplyDelete